I love essential oils for their healing properties, diverse uses, beautiful scents, and because I can make my own natural products! I make house and studio cleaning products, cook with it, and make my own beauty products, including; totally natural parfume – that so many love and request, my own toner, and make-up remover. Best part? I know exactly what’s in it, and I know it’s all good for me! You can also make your own totally natural products and it’s cost-effective! Below are my top essential oil picks under $25 and ways you can use them.
My Essential Oil Picks Under $25 (Cdn):
- Spearmint – energizing, helps headaches, coughs & colds – use in mouthwash, massage oil & in the bath
- Eucalyptus – helps with muscle & joint pain, coughs & colds – use in massage oil, lotion & in the bath
- Tangerine or Orange – calming and uplifting – use in cooking & hot-chocolate!
- Nutmeg – calming and soothing for joints & muscles – you can use in cooking & massage oils
- Pine – calming, great for joints, muscles & colds – perfect for cleaning, lotions or diffusing for a cold
- Lime – great for acne & easing arthritis – use in lotions & tonics for drinking, cleaning or toner!
- Lemon – helps reduce water bloat & good for colds – use in tea, cooking, cleaning & facial toner
- Lemongrass – eases joint & muscle pain, digestion & uplifting – great for cooking & beauty products
- Ginger – digestion, colds, joint & muscle pain – another goodie for cooking, diffusing or in lotions
- Clove – colds, energy, joint & muscle pain – a fave for cooking, diffusing and in lotions
- Cedarwood – so soothing & helps the respiratory system – great to diffuse and use in lotions
- Wintergreen – calming, great for joints, muscles & colds – perfect for cleaning, lotions or diffusing for a cold
- Rosemary – skin irritation, colds, joints & muscles – great for cooking, diffusing, in lotions or toner
- Grapefruit – uplifting and calms the skin – perfect for toner and cooking
- Fennel – great for skin, digestion & colds – another wonderful one for cooking, tea, diffusing & toner
- Cypress – refreshing & grounding – this is a beautiful one to diffuse or use in lotions
There are more too, but these are some great ones to get started with. Lavender ($30), Geranium ($57) & Copaiba ($55) are also essentials for me, for their soothing properties. Below are some of my recipes using the oils above … and I will share more on our blog!
My Essential Oil Recipes
It’s really limitless what you can make, and I’m not even touching food, dressings, desserts and drinks! Below are some of the recipes I use for home and studio:
- Massage Oil for Easing Muscle & Joint Pain (including Headaches)
To soothe tired muscles I like Panaway or you can create a combination of spearmint, eucalyptus, pine, wintergreen, nutmeg or clove. For grounding I like cypress, cedarwood, lavender and copaiba. You can create a combination of any of the above too! Blend about 10 drops of your choice of essential oils with 1cup of coconut oil, jojoba, avocado, almond or another high quality oil.
- Cold Remedy
This blend works wonders! Mix a little Theives, or lemon, clove & ginger in hot water or tea with Manuka (or another high grade) honey
- Cough Remedy
Have a bath or diffuse either Respiratory Care, spearmint, eucalyptus, pine, cedarwood or wintergreen. You can also create a blend with another base oil (avocado, coconut, castor oil etc) to rub on your chest. This may also help to relieve stuffiness from air-borne allergies and hayfever.
- All-purpose Cleaner
I use this for my home, office and studio yoga mats – a blend of Theives or Purification, or pine, clove, lemon & orange.
- Beauty Products
Stay tuned for a future blog on easy beauty products you can make, like make-up remover, toner, parfume & lotions! I have featured a few of these on Instagram – visit @inspiredlivingandbeauty to see!
Essential Oil Starter Kit
For those of you interested in exploring essential oils you can use daily, I would recommend the Young Living Starter Kit below as it is incredible value. Two of my favorites, Lavender and Copaiba are also included! I would also recommend getting the RefGuide4EO app, so you have a guide as to how to use and apply different oils based on your needs. This Starter Kit includes all the basic oils you will need to replace some of your medicine cabinet, create natural cleaning products, and oils for beauty and personal enjoyment. Each Kit includes a 5ml version of each of the following oils, a Dew Drop diffuser, product guide, and more:
- Lavender – soothing for the skin and nervous system, helping with sleep and great for kids!
- Lemon – can be used as a tonic, toner, helps reduce water retention, and tastes awesome in recipes!
- Copaiba – similar properties to THC and incredibly soothing for the nervous system and skin
- Peppermint – energizing, helps headaches, coughs and colds
- R.C. – respiratory care, you’re natural vicks vapo-rub
- Panaway – replaces tylenol! Best head-ache cure
- Purification – a powerful anit-bacterial blend for cleaning
- Di-Gize – an amazing blend to calm digestion concerns
- Thieves – a perfect blend of oils for cough & cold and cleaning! It got its name as those who used this blend of oils (clove, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus & rosemary) during the Black Plague didn’t get sick and looted the rest – sad but it works. It’s also delicious in hot-chocolate!
- Frankincense – one of the most expensive oils that helps the skin (wrinkles & tone), the nervous system, infection and much more!
- Northern Lights Black Spruce – from Young Living’s Farm right here in BC!
You can purchase this Starter Kit or any essential oils through this link – please make sure to sign up for Wholesale to get 24% off of retail. If you have any questions, please contact Katie@yoganorthvancouver.com