Spring is about new beginnings, freshness, a gentle approach. For many it also seems to be about hayfever! So let’s work on some poses to ease breath and warm up the body.
Supporting an Easy Breath
Begin by laying down on your back, placing your hands on your stomach and feeling the breath move you. This may seem simple, but let the breath guide you, rather than you guide the breath. As you ease into the breath, bring the soles of your feet together and your arms above your head, creating a full butterfly – this helps open the chest. If you would like to place a bolster the length of your spine for further opening, you can. This is very helpful for those with asthma. Continue breathing for five to ten minutes.
If you have pure peppermint or eucalyptus oils, dab a bit on your chest & tap your thymus. With a drop in your hands, rub your palms together and inhale and exhale 5 times with your hands near your face. If you have questions about essential oils, you are welcome to email Katie.
Warming up the Body
- Reverse Prayer – Slowly coming to a seated pose, inhale sweeping your arms up and exhale taking hold of your elbows behind your back, or coming into reverse prayer – another wonderful pose to support full breath
- Cat Cow – Coming to your hands and knees, inhale into cow and exhale rounding your spine into cat
- Pigeon – Sweeping your right leg out behind you, bring your knee into your chest, and your calf onto the mat so it’s somewhat parallel to the top of your mat. Allow yourself to melt and hold. Come back to table and repeat on the other side.
- Modified Sun Salutation – Find your down dog, holding and breathing engaging your shoulder blades for support. Slowly walk your feet to your hands to hang out in forward fold. Engaging your core, slowly inhale and wind up to standing, fingers reaching to the sky. Repeat a few times.
This is a wonderful way to start your day! Not sure how to do these poses? email Katie or check out our Instagram
For more yoga in a peaceful, welcoming space, see our Spring Series beginning the week of March 24th. Drop-In is also available.
- Kundalini – Sundays 900-1030am
- Yoga for Bikers – Mondays 630-745pm
- Meditation + Pranayama – Mondays 800-830pm
- Prenatal Yoga – Tuesdays 600-715pm
- Pilates – Tuesdays 730-830pm
- Bellydance – Thursdays 600-730pm
- Yin for the Senses – Thursdays 800-900pm
- Hatha – Fridays 1000-1100am
- Alignment for all levels – Saturdays 1100-1200pm
Private and Kids Yoga are also available. Please email Katie@yoganorthvancouver.com.
Follow us on Instagram + Facebook for promos and contests!
If you practice with us, please leave a google review to get a 25% off code for Spring Series.
Love & light,