This Full Moon is in the third (last) Decan of Libra, closing the opening from the March Full Moon in the first Decan of Libra. This period has been all about making changes to better align our relationships. In March we looked inward and we are now full circle looking at our relationships with others. This has been a major period of spring-cleaning to bring us into greater balance for future growth. With this better understanding of ourselves and ability to love and honour ourselves we come into our power, and are able to see what relationships are and are not supporting us and where we are headed. We give gratitude to all relationships, the lessons we have been taught, and the strength we have found in their challenges and comfort. Know that it is healthy to walk away from those not supporting us with love, and take the time to express your gratitude and love to those who are healthy and supportive. Libra is all about balancing – Mars and Venus – our male and female aspects. Libra is a leader and a diplomat – channel your inner power, strengthening your Solar Plexus and corresponding Throat Chakra.
Before we begin, please take the time to clear your space, cleanse any crystals or other sacred objects you wish to bring in. Crystal quartz helps us cleanse and heal, while Rose Quartz is connected to the Heart chakra and relationships. As we are working with the Solar Plexus and corresponding Throat Chakra, I would also recommend bringing in Citrine (manifesting) and Turquoise (communication), Kyanite (balance), Lapis Lazuli (truth & awareness), or Aquamarine (courage). While I always love Lavender (Mother-Healer), Frankincense (Father-Healer & de-calcifies the pineal gland or Third Eye), and Rose (Heart Chakra), Cedarwood, Cypress, Geranium or Peppermint help open the Solar Plexus and Throat Chakras.*
After clearing your space, take moment to sit with your eyes closed and connect with your breath, allowing it to fill your body and exhales through the mouth, letting any tensions flow out of you. Connect with your Root Chakra, grounding your energy & continuing to allow the breath to flow, becoming longer and more relaxed. To connect with the Solar Plexus, our power centre, I would recommend Breath of Fire. If you feel your Throat Chakra needs clearing, I would suggest Ujjayi Breath. Once you are ready, come back to rest with an easy breath and move the energy in your body through a gentle flow or cat/cows to release energy stored in the nervous system in your spine.
When you are ready, return to seated, connecting again to the breath and the Root Chakra to ground your energy. Notice how your breath has changed. Notice how you feel in your body. If you like, welcome Your Higher Self, Guides, or Angels to your meditation. Take a moment to allow them in and to deeply connect – you will sense when you feel connected either through sensation (I feel quite warm) or an intuitive knowing. You can ask about a specific situation or in general:
- Bring your awareness to your Solar Plexus. Are you honouring yourself? Are you standing in your power? What energy are you channelling and sharing with others?
- Bring your awareness to your Throat Chakra. What truth do you need to speak, with confidence and compassion?
- Bring your awareness to your Heart Chakra. How do you feel?
Sometimes information comes quickly, other times it will come later in the day or week. Pay attention to your dreams and any synchronicities you notice. When you are ready, make sure to thank Your Higher Self, Guides, or Angels. Try to stay connected this week and take time to continue to check back in. All we need to do is centre ourselves and quiet our minds, and we can access our intuition and higher powers.
Join us for a Full Moon Meditation + Yin Class with Sound Healing!
Join us this Thursday for Yin + Crystal Bowl with a very special guest, Jeshua, before he moves home. You may have been lucky enough to experience Jeshua’s sound healing guitar around North Van, and the most beautiful rendition of Metallica you will ever hear! His guitar is tuned to 432Hz for pure tones, which you can feel in every cell of your body as you melt into relaxation. Join us for the Full Moon and this by-donation evening of healing ✨ This class is by-donation ($20 suggested – if you already have a pass, one of your classes will count towards this donation).
** For more information on pure essential oils, please email Katie@yoganorthvancouver.com or visit the bottom of our homepage, where you can order your own oils at wholesale cost whenever you like.
This last Super Moon of the year falls in the first Decan of Libra at 0*, and also happens to fall on the Equinox – a balance of the feminine and masculine, the start of Spring and a new lunar year… time to Spring clean ourselves! A Super Moon occurs when the moon is very close to Earth, which amplifies the energy. Thankfully, this is a harmonious Full Moon, especially if we are able to go with the flow while listening to our intuition. Libra is ruled by the air element and Venus, a sign of partnership and harmony. 0 is a symbol for creativity and linked to our potential. This is a perfect Full Moon to set our intentions very clearly for the new lunar year!
Here’s a look at the planets and stars at play during this time:
- Moon quincunx Uranus – stay in the flow and take time examine the unconventional approach and truth
- Mercury sextile Uranus – will help us stay clear headed if we can remain grounded in ourselves
- Venus square Mars – can create tension in relationships (including ourselves)
- Venus sextile Jupiter – calms the tension from the Mars square and indicates financial success
- Mars trine Pluto – may make you want to avoid conflict
- Fixed Star Markeb – represents a thirst for knowledge and explorations with success
- Mercury is almost out of retrograde… so communication will become easier!
Quite a mix going on here in regards to relationships and our relationship with ourselves, however; the overall outlook is harmonious. So how can we achieve this harmony?
Some thoughts to consider in your meditation:
- How can I come into greater alignment with myself and my soul purpose?
- Am I being truthful with myself and my feelings? Am I in flow? Does my body, mind & soul feel at peace?
- Am I being honest with others as to my feelings and needs? Is my internal dialogue in-line with my desires?
- Are others being honest with me? Or do I need to broach a subject to bring more harmony?
- Is there another way I can look at my approach to this situation or my desires?
Try to feel this in your body more than connecting with your mind. To do this, we need to let our mind go and connect to our intuition. To do this, try the meditation below.
Yoga & Meditation for the Full Moon
Before we get into this meditation, please take the time to clear your space, cleanse any crystals or other sacred objects you wish to bring in. Crystal quartz helps us cleanse and heal, while Rose Quartz is connected to the Heart chakra and partnership. Aventurine is one of my favorite stones and also connected to the heart, expression, and entrepreneurship. For oils, I would recommend Lavender (Mother-Healer), Frankincense (Father-Healer & de-calcifies the pineal gland or Third Eye), and Rose (Heart Chakra).*
After clearing your space, take moment to sit with your eyes closed and connect with your breath, allowing it to fill your body and exhales through the mouth, letting any tensions flow out of you. Begin your Ujjayi or a steady flowing breath through your nose. Connect with your Root Chakra, grounding your energy & continuing to allow the breath to flow, becoming longer and more relaxed. I would recommend moving through any energy in your body – going for a moon lit walk or a gentle yogi flow, connecting the breath to movement. Close your eyes and move as your body desires.
When you are ready, return to seated, connecting again to the breath and the Root Chakra to ground your energy. Notice how your breath has changed. Notice how you feel in your body. If you like, welcome Your Higher Self, Guides, or Angels to your meditation. Take a moment to allow them in and to deeply connect – you will sense when you feel connected either through sensation (I feel quite warm) or an intuitive knowing.
Bring your awareness to your Heart Chakra. How balanced does your front and back Heart Chakra feel? The front is the energy you give, while the back is energy you receive, including the love you return to yourself.
Bring your awareness to your Third Eye, connecting you to your intuition. Remain here as you breathe, allowing the thoughts to flow without judgement. This is when you can ask any questions you have, or perhaps one of the ones i mentioned earlier.
Sometimes information comes quickly, other times it will come later in the day or week. Pay attention to your dreams and any synchronicities you notice. When you are ready, make sure to thank Your Higher Self, Guides or Angels. Try to stay connected this week and take time to continue to check back in. All we need to do is centre ourselves and quiet our minds, and we can access our intuition and higher powers. It’s such an amazing gift we all poses, but a gift that needs to be practiced. Give yourself the gift of taking the time to do this every morning – even if it’s just breathing for 5 minutes in silence.
More Meditation & Yoga
Yin & Crystal Bowl (Sound Healing) with White Light meditations begin again on Thursdays in April!
The Alchemy of Meditation also begins in April! This series explores a variety of approaches to meditation.
If you are interested in purchasing pure essential oils at wholesale, you are welcome to follow this link or email Katie@yoganorthvancouver.com
This Snow Moon at 0* in Virgo is the biggest Super Moon of the year – the closest to the Earth – meaning it has a stronger effect on us. Virgo is associated with power, healing and manifesting. The number 0 symbolizes creativity and opportunity (why we use 0 in our studio name – 2 is for harmony and partnership). So what is this moon all about? Questioning our greater purpose in life and being open to opportunity! In order to do this, we need to release old habits and patterns to truly allow this potential to flow to us. Breathwork and EFT (emotional freedom technique) are two very effective ways to release old patterns to create new healthy neural pathways and habits.
Here’s a look at the planets and stars at play during this time:
- Moon trine Uranus – shines a light on our courage to act, even if going against status quo
- Saturn sextile Neptune – brings out our spiritual side
- Regulus is one of 4 Royal Persian stars – guardian of the heart
Yoga & Meditation for the Full Moon
Before we get into this meditation, please take the time to clear your space, cleanse any crystals or other sacred objects you wish to bring in. Crystal quartz helps us cleanse and heal, while Carnelian is used for courage and action. I would recommend moving through any energy in your body, through a little flow listening to your own body’s needs – perhaps some sufi grinds to connect to your Root Chakra & ground your energy. When you are ready, take a moment to close your eyes and cleanse your mind with 10 deep inhales through the nose and exhales through the mouth. Let go of any tensions, any emotions, any thoughts. When you are ready, bring your awareness to your Heart Chakra, and continue with a steady Ujjayi breath. Welcome Your Higher Self, Guides, or Angels to your meditation. Take a moment to allow them in and to deeply connect – you will know when you feel connected either through sensation or knowing.
If you have a specific question or thought, please ask and then continue to stay open and connected with your breath.
Some ideas to consider:
- What pattern do you need to release?
- What is holding you back from living your full purpose?
- What is your true purpose?
- Is there a lesson you need to learn?
- How can you fulfill your soul mission with greater ease?
Sometimes information comes quickly, other times it will come later in the day or week. Pay attention to your dreams and any synchronicities you notice. When you are ready, make sure to thank Your Higher Self, Guides or Angels. Try to stay connected this week and take time to continue to check back in. All we need to do is centre ourselves and calm our minds, and we can access our intuition and higher powers. It’s such an amazing gift we all poses, but a gift that needs to be practiced. Give yourself the gift of taking the time to do this every morning – even if it’s just breathing for 5 minutes in silence.
Join us for weekly yoga and meditation sessions at the studio to keep up your self-care practice and learn to connect more deeply. We also host a variety of workshops, including Breathwork and EFT & Art. Visit our Workshop page to sign up for early-birds for these and other upcoming workshops, including EFT for Kids!
This Super Blood Wolf Moon in Leo is an exciting one to start the new year! In addition, it’s a full Lunar Eclipse, helping us to reset our emotions – so meditation really is a key here. This Full Moon is about opportunity leading to growth. There is a balance here between staying grounded in your values and being open to going with the flow, to allow the right opportunities to come to you. While Leo enjoys the admiration of the spotlight, this also shows all our sides opening up a fear of criticism. It’s important to focus on having the courage and trusting that we can only do our best. There will always be critics and there will be those who appreciate what we are doing – act with pure intentions and trust your intuition. Have patience and trust.
Decan 1 of Leo is about our ancestors, reverence, and family loyalty. This will be tested, particularly when it comes to inheritance, be it tangible or intangible. Jealousy and fear seem to rear their head. Try to step away from this ego ruled time and see it for what it is – what’s at the root? Don’t get involved but rather focus on the value of family.
Other astrological events impacting the Full Moon:
- Moon square Uranus may make us a little impulsive or on edge. Find grounding activities like meditation, yoga and walking in nature.
- Mercury square Uranus is about spontaneous changes. Go with flow but stay grounded.
- Sun sextile Ceres is all about generosity & innocence. Let your heart guide you.
- Moon trine Ceres brings awareness to family & freedom. Have a sense of humour & that child-like innocence if things are a little jumbled at the moment.
- Pi Puppis star is Arabic ‘much promise’, bringing good things if we focus our minds and hearts in healthy places
- Argo constellation is connected to a strong mind & spirit but associated with drowning. Try to keep life simple and focus on priorities. Other things can and will wait.
- Altair is fixed in Aquarius. It’s Jupiter’s swooping eagle, highlighting honour & confidence
This is a wonderful first Full Moon for 2019! The key here is to stay focused on our true soul desires and to stay grounded. In our meditation, we will focus on connecting with our third eye and our guides or ancestors.
The other morning I had an absolutely beautiful meditation with my Pop who recently passed, and some interesting words that came through for family. Our ancestors and those close to us, will always be… we just need to take the time to be quiet, go within, and choose to listen with pure hearts.
Before we get into this meditation, please take the time to clear your space, cleanse any crystals or other sacred objects you wish to bring in. I would recommend moving through any energy in your body, through a little flow listening to your own body’s needs. When you are ready, take a moment to close your eyes and cleanse your mind with 10 deep inhales through the nose and exhales through the mouth. Let go of any tensions, any emotions, any thoughts. Begin to connect with your roots, grounding your energy. When you are ready, bring your awareness to your third eye and continue with a steady Ujjayi breath. Welcome Your Higher Self, Guides, or Angels to your meditation. Take a moment to allow them in and to deeply connect – you will know when you feel connected either through sensation or knowing. If you have a specific question or thought, please ask and then continue to stay open and connected with your breath. Sometimes information comes quickly, other times it will come later in the day or week. Pay attention to your dreams and any synchronicities you notice, including number patterns. When you are ready, make sure to thank Your Higher Self, Guides or Angels. Try to stay connected this week and take time to continue to check back in. All we need to do is centre ourselves and quiet our minds, and we can access our intuition and higher powers. It’s such an amazing gift we all poses, but a gift that needs to be practiced. Give yourself the gift of taking the time to do this every morning – even if it’s just breathing for 5 minutes in silence.
For more opportunities to learn about this connection and to give yourself the space to connect, join us for a yoga class or one of our special workshops. 2018 was a year of karmic cleansing, and yes we continue to do this, but it was a big year of clearing. 2019 is a pivotal year in moving forward and will be much smoother.
Perhaps numbers or other synchronicities you can’t help but notice, continue to appear in your life. There will likely be periods where you see a few for a while, then numbers will change. It’s quite interesting when you become tuned into these subtleties and messages, which often becomes more apparent the more you meditate and develop your intuitive or psychic awareness. You may begin to notice all sorts of synchronicities and patterns in your daily and dream lives, including the effects of the moon. While I know numerology is connected to a pseudo-religion most of us aren’t a fan of, there’s no harm in seeing patterns in your life and taking an objective look to see if they have any meaning or significance for you. It’s said that our universe is built upon numbers, each carrying their own vibration. Did you know our Birthdays and names also carry numeral significance? For a little fun and to see how much it resonates with you, read on!
The Significance of Repeating Numbers:
- 000 – Is all about connection and unity. When this number continues to show up it’s a sign you are aligned with your higher self and the infinite. It’s also a sign of new beginnings.
- 111 – Signifies a spiritual presence is with you. Take a moment to tune in to yourself and observe what’s happening within and around you. 1 is also a symbol of leadership and clarity.
- 222 – Represents creativity and new beginnings. Every moment is yours to create. It’s also a sign of harmony and partnership.
- 333 – Symbolizes ascended masters are with you. Be encouraged knowing you are protected and can make difficult decisions and speak your soul truth. 3 also symbolizes communication.
- 444 – You are awakening to your path and in full harmony with universe. Trust in this and that you can reach your goals! 4 is all about truth.
- 555 – Is connected to freedom, exploration, and change. If you see this number, trust you are on right path and keep moving forward.
- 666 – This signifies it would be wise to examine your current situation. Are you in true alignment, or can changes be made for greater alignment? 6 is a symbol of nurturing.
- 777 – Symbolizes synchronicity with the universe, increasing intuitive awareness, and a thirst for knowledge and sharing knowledge.
- 888 – Represents equality and an abundant mindset – you are in flow with the universe and ready to receive. This is an especially powerful number.
- 999 – Signifies the ending of a cycle and transition for further growth. A very humanitarian aspect for change.
- 1234 – Is considered a ‘full circle’ number, as they total 1.
Finding Your Birth Path:
To find your Birth Path, add the year, the month, and the day.
For example: Nov 1, 1984 = 1+9+8+4=22= 4 +11 + 1 = 1+ 6 = 7
Here’s a great link to read more on what your Birth Path means: https://astrostyle.com/numerology/
How was 2018 for you? I know it was challenging for many, and some of these challenges to help us truly align to our true potential may linger in early 2019, but it should be easier as we now we know clearly what we will and will not allow in our lives. Hopefully you have taken time over the holiday to nurture yourself, and are ready to take on the new year! Remember to continue nurturing yourself on a regular basis – perhaps a daily meditation practice and a few yoga classes or other activities for your soul. By looking after ourselves – mind, body & soul – we are in a better frame of mind, and able to make healthier choices everyday.
So let’s get on to realizing our true potential by first looking at these two approaches:
The Yogic Approach – 8 Limbs of Yoga
These limbs are set out to help us stay focused and on a path towards enlightenment, or self-actualization. Click here to read more in depth about the 8 Limbs.
- Yamas – disciplines to observe to guide our interactions in the world
- Niyamas – personal practices for a healthy internal world
- Asana – the physical practice of yoga to move energy through the body to assist with a clear mind
- Pranayama – breath work to help clear the mind for meditation
- Pratyahara – sense withdrawal to assist with meditation & truly listening to our intuition
- Dharana – focused concentration
- Dhyana – meditative absorption, where true inspiration flows through us
- Samadhi – a continual state of bliss
Maslow’s Hierarchy & 10 Characteristics of Self Actualization
Maslow states our basic needs (physiological, safety & security, love & belonging, self-esteem & respect) must be met in order to come to the fifth stage to achieve our fullest potential. So how do we know if are achieving our fullest potential?
- Gratitude is part of your daily life
- Accepting all aspects of yourself
- Authenticity & ability to take responsibility for your actions & thoughts
- Grace to flow with life’s ups and downs
- Purposely fulfilling your life’s mission
- Truth seeking is part of your perception of reality
- Humanitarian desires stemming from pure altruism
- Experiences of Oneness
- Strong sense of moral intuition
- Creative spirit & child-like innocence and perception
Looking at either of these approaches, we are likely to have strengths in some aspects and weakness in others. Take a moment to intuitively look at where you are now. Where can you grow to fulfill your soul potential?
I think it’s important to recognize that fulfilling our soul potential is a journey rather than a destination. Some of us have a very clear calling for our mission, while for others it may take time to become apparent. It’s ok if you don’t know clearly – you are already likely living it and it will become more apparent over time as you continue to tap into you intuition. The approaches above help us connect more deeply to our intuition and live in greater joy…and isn’t that the point?
My mission was pretty clear to me at 18 – creating the studio as a space for all to connect in health and wellness. Such spaces weren’t exactly common back then, and it took 15 years to bring it to reality…and it continues to evolve. It was by no means an easy path, and there are still many challenges…but this is my passion and a very clear mission.
To help you connect to your mission, think about the following:
- What are you most passionate about?
- What gifts do you have to share with the world?
- What gifts do you bring into your everyday life?
- How can you share more of this?
For many of us, there are aspects blocking our true and full potential to share our gifts. Even if you think you do clearly know the path you are taking, this is a continual journey of growth with challenges to help you live your true potential. These little challenges, when handled in a healthy manner, help you to grow further to more fully express your gifts. This past year I have been working on a big challenge quite a bit, and will continue to. Often these challenges are rooted deep in your subconscious and from child-hood patterns.
Are any areas blocking you from achieving your full potential?
Some ways to know if you are blocked in certain aspects include;
- Not feeling you are worthy of your dreams, or fear of what may happen if achieve them (fear of success)
- Sudden depression, excessive worry, or uncontrollable anger
- Fatigue and appetite changes
Let’s clear any blocks using the tools below:
5 Tools to Help you Realize Your Dreams
- Take the time to understand the root of your block, fear or challenge. Where are these feelings, thoughts and patterns are stemming from?
- Learn to let-go – set realistic expectations of yourself & others. Practice the sometimes challenging art of surrendering, and trusting in a higher process. Perhaps you have felt blocked from one avenue only to realize by not following this path, you were actually spared.
- Be clear as to what you will and will not allow in your life. It’s ok to say no to unhealthy people and situations, in a kind but clear way.
- Love yourself – look after your exercise, sleep, and nutrition. Participate in activities to nurture your soul, including being in nature and meditation as regularly as possible. This will help you connect more deeply to your intuition, which will help things flow with grace and ease.
- Some other tools to help you tap into your intuition and create new neural pathways:
- Cleanse by smudging, sound healing
- Creating a mantra to reinforce positive change. This is extra powerful when combined with EFT
- When meditating focus on your dream being reality (already being engaging your senses, not in the future)
By doing the above work, you will be able to more deeply connect with your true self, tap into your intuition and achieve your dreams – it’s a journey, not a destination. While some of your dreams will be achieved this year, even if not as planned, taking time to do this work will help you make progress on your soul mission. This may take life times, but progress is progress! And most importantly, it will help you live more in the moment and in true joy!
Happy New Year and best wishes for a healthy & happy 2019!
Don’t forget to use the code #healthiswealth before Jan 6th to save 10% on class passes.
The theme of change keeps coming up in my meditations – waves of change. This change is about finding simplicity, pure joy, and clearing the extraneous. This meditation requires us to reflect deeply about where we are and wish to go, set clear boundaries, and nurture growth. Self-care is a big theme to prepare ourselves for the growth to come. Don’t be afraid to be assertive and clear – this can be done with compassion for yourself and others. By honouring yourself and being clear in boundaries, you allow the space for positive change to flow into your life.
December 21 is the Solstice, and transits from creative Gemeni to nurturing Cancer. This Full Moon is known as the ‘Cold Moon’ or ‘Long Nights Moon’ – all about self care, evaluation and conclusion, before January 5th’s New Moon and Solar Eclipse with a theme of new projects and growth. Some other aspects affecting the Full Moon:
- Moon sextile Uranus shines on excitement
- Moon conjunct Betelguese speaks to a strong & active mind that will strive for what it believes
- Venus trine to Neptune evokes a softer, intuitive and nurturing environment – perfect to get cozy at home
Don’t out-do yourself this Christmas or holiday you are celebrating. Take the time to really nurture yourself – once your cup is full, you can continue to keep it full while caring for those you love.
Full Moon Meditation & Yoga
Rose, geranium and lavender are the scents that speak to this time of self-love. Perhaps treating yourself to a luxurious bath, bringing in amethyst, rose and clear quartz. I would suggest smudging and cleaning your meditation space.
Sitting in your space with your eyes closed, gently focusing on your breath with your eyes closed and feeling into the subtle sensations around you. Bring your awareness to your Root Chakra, beginning to ground your energy – you can do this by visualizing roots or a golden cord reaching into the Earth. With your inhales draw white light into your body, holding briefly as your body expands with this light, and exhale completely allowing the light to radiate out beyond you and fill the room. This practice is cleansing for you, your aura, and your space. Continue with this practice as long as you wish.
When you are ready, with your eyes closed, begin with Sufi Grinds – sitting cross-legged, inhale reaching your chest forward, exhale rounding your spine to the back. Continue in circles to one side moving with your breath, then switching to the other side. Coming back to a neutral, tall spine, begin with spinal flexes, inhaling reaching your chest forward, exhale rounding your spine to the back. Take some gentle neck rolls – left to centre to right, moving with the breath. Coming back to the breath, inhale reaching your arms to the sky and exhale gently twist to the right, then repeat to the left. Inhaling tall spine back to centre and gently transitioning to Child’s pose. Rest here. You are welcome to continue to move as your body needs, through Cat/Cow, Down Dog, perhaps a few flows to move the energy.
Once you feel ready to come back to seated, close your eyes again and focus on the breath.
- How has the breath changed in your body?
- Taking a little scan from Root to Crown, how has your body changed?
- How would you feel if you continued this practice every day, taking the time to nurture you?
- What brings you the greatest joy and contentment?
- If you feel you do not know clearly yourself, perhaps ask your Guides or Higher Self what it is you could clear from your life to allow more of that pure joy to flow in?
Have a wonderful Christmas and holiday, taking the time for you and to surround yourself with those you love. Take moments for yourself to continue breathing in this white light, coming into greater alignment with the true essence of you
✨ Over Christmas we are hosting by-donation classes: Yin & Crystal Bowl on Thursdays, and Gong Bath’s on Sundays. We would love to have you join us! Use the code #healthiswealth when you are purchasing passes for the Winter to save 10%
✨ For information on pure essential oils, please email me: Katie@yoganorthvancouver.com
Love & light,
This time of year can be overwhelming with so many places to be, things to do, and emotions. Here are some simple mindfulness tips to help you stay centred to maintain your well-being, peace & joy!
Start Your Day off Right
Taking 5-10 minutes at the start of every day to gently move and come into a meditation makes a world of difference to the rest of your day. Don’t believe me? Try it for a week! Meditation can be as complex or as simple as you make it. You can simply focus on your breath – taking deep belly breaths, you can draw in mantra, visualization, energy work, and so much more. If you are new to meditation or mindfulness, I would suggest just closing your eyes and focusing on inhaling through the nose, bringing the breath into the belly, feeling your chest expand. On the exhale through your mouth or nose, allow your jaw, neck & chest to relax.
Take a Moment
I often recommend to clients who are starting to practice mindfulness or meditation to find something that reminds them to reconnect to themselves and their breath. It can be as simple as a red light. When ever you come across a red light, bring your awareness into your body, and take five deep inhales and exhales. If you’re not driving you can even close your eyes!
Check Your Breath
We often breath in such a hurried state and aren’t even aware of it – I know I can do this too – bad habits we’ve developed over years… but with practice we can become aware and catch ourselves to ensure we get full breaths. If we aren’t taking full-breaths, we are only getting a portion of the oxygen our bodies and brains need. Furthermore, a shortened or shallow breath makes our body believe we need to be in fight or flight mode. The best part? The reverse is also true! By focusing on bringing the breath into our belly, then into our chest – think of how a baby breathes – we tell our body we are safe and can relax. We are able to get a nice full breath to nourish our nervous system. Now try taking 5-10 of these deep, soothing breaths. Try this with your kids before bed and they’ll soon be off to lalaland! This is a very important aspect of yoga & meditation, called pranayama.
Thoughts Become Words, Words Define Our Path
We are deeply complex beings full of memories and stories that create how we see ourselves and in turn affect our lives. Mantra is a powerful way to become conscious of our words and to help develop new, healthy habits and pathways in our brain. You are welcome to use the mantra in the image above, or create your own! What qualities do you already or wish to embody more of? Repeat this mantra to yourself during your morning and evening meditation or quiet time. You can also do this with little ones!
The Power of Scent
Mindfulness is all about being in the moment and engaging our senses – being aware of what you are seeing, hearing, feeling, tasting, and smelling. Scent is a particularly powerful way for us to reconnect to ourselves and memories. Give yourself a little gift of going for a walk in the forest or by the ocean – we have no excuse here on the shore! Take a deep breath in, really feel & smell it. What does it smell like? How does it make you feel? If you enjoy using essential oils, you can bring your favourite calming scent with you where ever you go.
Upcoming Events to Help You Reconnect & Restore:
Dec 9 – Create Your Own Essential Oil Gifts using the purest oils on the market
Jan 13, 20, 27 – EFT Workshops*
Jan 16-Feb 13 – EFT for Kids*
Or join us for one of our many soothing weekly classes; Restorative, Kundalini & Gong Bath, Hatha, Yin & Crystal Bowl, YinYang and many more! We have a special Christmas Pass on sale for $69 (save $99) for Dec 17-Jan5.
*Early-birds on new year workshops & spring break camps until Jan 6th. Use the code #healthiswealth for 10% off weekly classes before Jan 6th!
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out: Katie@yoganorthvancouver.com
We hope this season brings peace, light & joy into your hearts!
The Moon is at 0* in Gemini, a particularly creative and sometime fickle sign, so you may feel pulled in many directions. 0 also represents our infinite creative potential. This is wonderful energy to have with us as we reflect on the growth and changes we have made over the year, and begin to prepare for another year. The image I saw this morning in my meditation was stepping out of my skin like a snake – major shedding for major growth to come. It’s important to recognize and give gratitude to what was in our lives, what brought us to where we are, and at the same time be able to let go to make room for more growth and greater alignment. Release stories and your shadow aspects that no longer serve you – guilt, shame, fear. This was also a theme for November’s New Moon – forgiving and letting go. Forgiving others and most importantly ourselves, surrounding ourselves, situations and others with loving energy. Take time to nourish your nervous system through yoga, meditation, art to connect to and allow your intuition to thrive. Trust your heart. I find by taking the time to reflect and connect to our intuition, we are able to make healthy changes in our lives before they seem forced upon us.
- Moon squaring Mars – Watch your words & how others words affect you
- Moon opposing Jupiter – This amplifies confrontational energy from Mars, particularly when we’re vulnerable
- Mars squaring Jupiter – Enjoy your energy but try not to be impulsive with thoughts, words & actions
- Moon conjunct to Alcyone – This fixed star has a feminine influence, but in the picture of what’s going on astrologically it points to cruelty & potential out-lashes by ourselves or on the receiving end
Full Moon Meditation & Yoga
Oils and crystals for this meditation could include Cedarwood, Palo Santo & Copaiba for clearing & calming the nervous system. I love sticking with my Obsidian & Clear Quartz when there’s a lot going on, perhaps bringing in a Rose Quartz. 417Hz is for clearing energy, so you may want to listen to something like this.
Begin by settling into your space, clearing or smudging if you like. I like to have a shower or bath with the oils first to cleanse my skin too. Getting comfortable and coming into your body, bring your awareness to your Root chakra and begin to ground your energy with an easy breath perhaps visualizing roots traveling from you into the Earth. Call in your protection in a way that speaks to you or begin to fill your body with white light with every inhale.
Once you feel grounded, begin with Sufi Grinds moving gently with the breath. After a minute or two in each direction, begin with Spinal flexes, hands on the ankles, then flexes with hands on the knees. Inhaling reaching your chest forward, exhale rounding the spine. This Kundalini warm-up helps to lubricate the spine and wake up the nervous system. Once you feel warmed up, bring your awareness to your Crown chakra and begin with gentle neck rolls, moving with the breath.
Let’s begin with Nadi Shodana – Balancing Breath. Covering the left nostril, inhale through the right. Cover the right, exhale left, then deep inhale. Cover the left, exhale right, inhale and continue. Allow your belly then chest to fill on the inhale, your shoulders, chest and belly to relax on the exhale. This breath slows our energy, improves focus, and with the belly breath tells our body we are in a relaxed state to bring us into a greater relaxed state primed for meditation. Continue your breath for 5 minutes, returning to an easy inhale and exhale through the nose bringing your focus to your Third Eye and Crown Chakras. Stay in meditation as long as you need, thinking about what you would like to shed and what you would like to bring into your life. Or simply surrender to your breath and allow what’s meant to flow to you to come. If you would like to repeat a mantra, Sa Ta Na Ma is an appropriate one: Infinity, Life, Death, Rebirth.
You are more than welcome to join us Thursday for Yin & Crystal Bowl 8-9pm at the Studio for a Full Moon session, or to dive even deeper into release and connecting to your intuition, Linda is hosting EFT & Creative Art Therapy this Sunday.
If you’d like to learn more about pure essential oils, you are welcome to email me or join our Dec 2nd event ‘Make Your Own Essential Oil Gifts.‘
Have a lovely Full Moon. Sending love & light,