I’m sure you’ve heard that 1 in 3 women will experience osteoporosis, and 20% of men. This is sadly far to high, and as we age, weak bones and breaks can become detrimental. The best way to prevent this is by keeping our bodies strong & healthy now, and yoga is a great way to do this!
Osteoporosis is the result of our bones becoming brittle, and prone to fractures. As women, our bone mass begins to decline around 30, or when we start having children as our body uses our reserves to nourish this little being. So how can we get ahead of the curve? Read on…
Five Tips to Prevent Osteoporosis:
- Strength building by using appropriate weights at the gym and yoga help by causing compression on our bones, which leads to natural regeneration of our bones and muscles. We want our cells to turn-over to keep fresh, healthy cells in our body! Try doing something once a day to build strength – go for a walk, hang out in down dog, plank, any weight bearing exercise will do the trick! While I do enjoy working out at the gym to really feel a burn, I find yoga and using your body weight just as effective when you hold the poses – like true power yoga – and easier on your body. It’s much safer if you aren’t sure what you are doing in the gym.
- Balance activities challenge our brain and muscles, including our core. This is incredibly important as we age to prevent falls and breaks. Breaks in our bones when we are young will always be susceptible to damage as we age. So taking the time to strengthen these bones, and encouraging regeneration of cells through safe strength & balance activities will help as we age.
- Calcium & vitamin D are critical components to building bones. I like to try to get my vitamins from my diet, as they are easy for the body to extract. Natural sources of calcium are found in dairy & dark leafy greens. Enjoy some time in the sun to get your vitamin D fix!
- Boron & Potassium can naturally be found in prunes! These minerals help keep bones strong and healthy. Prunes are a powerhouse of anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory to help with arthritis & digestion. The high dose of potassium helps with heart health, they are also high in vitamin A for vision, and keep skin & hair healthy!
- Build healthy bones when you are young! Don’t wait until you are 30 or starting to have children. Try incorporating more leafy greens into your family’s diet… and bonus if you can get prunes in your salad or yogurt – it’s quite delicious! Encourage your children to do age-appropriate weight bearing exercise with you. Walking, running, skiing, and yoga are all wonderful ways to do this. Have a plank holding competition!
If you have any questions about appropriate yoga poses to help prevent osteoporosis for you or your family, send me a message! Our kids classes & camps work with appropriate power (balance & strength) poses, as does Yoga for Bikers (Vinyasa) on Mondays.
This Mother’s Day we have three by-donation events for Moms and children of all ages! Please make sure you register, as space is limited.
Join us for our Summer Party Weekend May 26 & 27 for free Kids Yoga, Zumbini, $5 Adult Yoga & more!