December New Moon – Preparing for a New Year
December’s New Moon is a wonderful opportunity for one last big release! Below is a special meditation with breath-work (pranayama) and yoga poses (asanas) for release, to help you align with your true purpose as you set your intentions for the coming year.
2017 has been a big year of changes, almost like a re-birthing in at least one aspect of our lives. This New Moon in Sagittarius represents passion, amplifying whatever it is we need to release – bringing it to the forefront of our attention so we can clear it for a fresh new year. The Saturn, Venus, Uranus trine represents growth in our relationships. Through our relationships we grow and are capable of much more than on our own. Given these themes, let’s begin our meditation and intention setting for 2018. I would allow an hour to an hour and a half so you can really relax.
Reflection Before Meditation
Begin as always, by finding a comfortable, quiet space you won’t be disturbed. If you would like to burn sage, please do! If you would like meditative music, try this link.
Taking out your journal, answer the following questions to help define your path for 2018:
- What fulfilled you the most? Made you feel like you were on the right path?
- What worked well for you? In your career, relationships, personally, a daily ritual?
- What did you learn in 2017? How did you grow? What were your biggest achievements?
- Were there any difficult challenges in these areas? How do you feel about them now?
- Is there anything you are holding that you wish to cleanse yourself of? Forgive someone else for?
- What would you change for 2018? Are you taking enough time for yourself?
On a scrap piece of paper, note down anything you wish to release. Burn it in a safe space and make sure it’s completely evaporated before you begin your meditation.
December New Moon Meditation
I would like to start with a two yoga asanas for release. If you are not comfortable with Wheel, Bridge is just fine.
- Bridge – laying on your back, place a block, bolster, or pillow under your sacrum with your knees in the air. Feel your rib cage expand against the floor as you inhale, and your body melting as you exhale. Continue for 3-5 minutes.
- Wheel – if you are comfortable with wheel, this is an incredible heart opening pose and way to release tension in the chest. Hold it and breathe for at least 30 seconds & relax on your back for a minute. Repeat up to 3 times if you like. Please be careful with this asana to not tighten your glutes, which places stress on the low-back.
Coming to seated and closing your eyes, inhale through your nose and exhale completely and slowly through your mouth – allowing your rib cage and stomach to expand as they fill with breath. As you inhale, imagine drawing pure white, cleansing light in. As you exhale, allowing tensions, fears, and unnecessary energy to leave in the colour of indigo. Anything or emotion brought to your attention you wish to release, surround it in indigo and let it evaporate – it is no longer a part of you. Continue as long as you like.
Begin a steady inhale and exhale through your nose, as you imagine roots or a golden cord extending from your Root Chakra reaching into the Earth. Continue breathing until this feels like a natural, strong, supportive connection. Continue breathing in this warm white light, feeling it flow through your body to the Earth. As you continue, feeling this light expanding throughout and beyond your body, creating a protective layer around you.
When you are ready, we will begin Nadi Shodana – balancing breath:
- With your right hand, begin by covering your left nostril and inhale through the right.
- Cover your right nostril and exhale through the left, then inhale through the left.
- Again cover your left nostril, exhale through the right, then inhale through the right.
- Continue this pattern of breath for 5-10 minutes.
Return to a steady easy breath through both nostrils simultaneously. Notice how your breath has changed. Continue with this easy breath for another 10 minutes, bringing your awareness with white light into your Heart Chakra and then to your Third Eye. Sit in peace and allow inspiration to come to you – this can take time, be patient and enjoy this time for yourself.
Intentions for 2018
Note down your thoughts from your meditation. Now let’s get what fulfills you into action:
- Note down everything that brings you peace, joy, and a feeling of love
- What is your greatest gift to share?
- What’s your one burning desire that you need to bring to life? It doesn’t all have to happen in 2018. If you are stuck, you can try asking yourself what is the most important quality to you? Then ‘why’? Continue asking until you really uncover what it is your soul craves. Take a look at my example below:
Freedom. Why is this valuable? It allows me to do what I want. Why? It means I can take care of myself and help others achieve their goals. Why? Because it helps me feel fulfilled. Why? Because it I like seeing others happy. Why? It gives me joy. Why? We share joy with each other. Why? We are connected.
For me, freedom offers me the ability to connect deeply with others to share inspiration.
- Note down a SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, timely) goal for each area of your life & how you will achieve it on a weekly basis:
- Personal development
- Wellness (mind & soul)
- Health (body)
- Now let’s look at your week:
- What does your ideal week look like? Describe it in detail using your senses. Make sure to include a step towards your goals above.
- How can you structure this ideal week around your responsibilities, so you have time for yourself? Is there anything you need to change to ensure you have balance in your life for both?
I like to create monthly check-ins to see how I am doing with each goal. It’s ok to refine, so long as you are staying true to your purpose – this is for your peace and joy! Enjoy this powerful moon ushering you into the new year, bringing you closer to your dreams.
Thursday Dec 21 from 8-9pm is our Yin night for the community – please join us for this free event and bring a friend. Our regular classes are taking a holiday over Christmas, and we will be back with our Winter & Kids Series January 7th.